Monday 3 April 2017

April #BookHaul & TBR

I'm really excited about the books I plan to read in April and look forward to reviewing them for you at the end of the month. Thanks to everyone that read and shared the March Book Haul and wrap-up posts, I hope this month's books in my haul get you talking too!



So without further ado, let's get to it. [All these books are from my local library, which is amazing, and you can click on the cover images below to learn more about these books.]

First up, Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare

This is a follow-up series to the bestselling Mortal Instruments books and follows a new set of characters which we were introduced to towards the end of the MI series. It's in the same Shadowhunter universe and say what you will about authors writing loads of books based in the same 'world', but I think it's more than fine if you have a good story to tell.

To be honest, I don't see why Ms. Clare has been criticised for setting her novels in the same universe ~ don't crime writers write about the same detective over and over? Don't authors of contemporary fiction set their books in the real world over and over? So why can't Cassandra Clare write as many books as she wants exploring the Shadowhunter world, since it's such a massive and rich world and has so much potential?



Shadowhunter fans went crazy for Lady Midnight so I'm really looking forward to this book and the sequel that's releasing next month, I believe. I might also tuck into The Bane Chronicles by the same author. I believe it's a collection of short stories/novellas based on one of the characters in Ms. Clare's Shadowhunter books, Magnus Bane, a fan favourite.

 


Next, another YA novel, The Selection by Kiera Cass 
 
 

I've heard some good things about this dystopian fairytale and its sequels on BookTube and when I saw it in my local library, I picked it up. This will be the first time I read this author's work so I'm excited to get to know a new voice.

The final YA novel in my April haul is Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

This book, which is the first of a trilogy, comes highly recommended by one of my favourite BookTubers and so I'm really excited to read it. 

 

It's about a mysterious girl that has naturally bright blue hair and strange gifts that she can't explain. I'm looking forward to learning more about this character and what and who she really is.

Next up, a crime novel, The Woman in Blue by Elly Griffiths

This will be the second book I read by this author, and about Dr. Ruth Galloway, a forensic archaeologist, and is the latest in this series (the 8th book, I believe). I'd read the very first book featuring Ruth, The Crossing Places, on my iPhone and really enjoyed it. With 6 books between that one and The Woman in Blue, I fear I may have missed a lot about what's happened in Ruth's personal life, but with crime/detective novels, I don't always find that to be detrimental. We'll see. Regardless, the mystery that's to be solved in this book sounds really interesting, so I should hopefully like it!


 
Also this month, I'm going to try out debut author Rebecca Done through her contemporary romance This Secret We're Keeping

 

This book deals with the controversial topic of student-teacher 'romance', but I think it's going to focus more on the after-effects of that scandal on the pupil and teacher several years later. We'll see. But it sounds like the kind of book I can group together with my very own Soulmates Saga, in that its a contemporary romance with a serious edge to it. Again, we'll see.

Finally, How to Fall in Love by Cecilia Ahern

I've watched Love, Rosie and PS. I Love You, which are based on this author's books, and when I saw this title, I thought to myself that I should finally get around to reading one of Ms. Ahern's books.

  
 
I'll review these books at the end of this month (the ones I finish, that is; who knows, I might finish them all!) and let you know what I thought.

Thank you for reading this post. If you're interested in my debut novel, click the image below to learn more about it:
 


Like all my other books, it's also available on:
iBooks   |   B&N Nook   |   Kobo |   Smashwords 


Book Details

Length: 110,000 words
Genre: Contemporary Romance / Clean Romance / Diverse Romance / Interracial Romance / Romantic Drama / Women’s Fiction

Mood: Inspirational / Feel Good / Coming of Age / Dark
Content: Sexy but No explicit sex scenes / No erotica
Audience: New Adult & College / Adult / Female Readers

Recommended for: Readers that enjoy romance novels with serious issues and characters with depth. This is a story about life, love, friendship, family, music, art, destiny and soul mates.


And the first two books in my teen urban fantasy/YA paranormal romance series, the Poison Blood series, can be downloaded for free via:

Amazon USAmazon UK|   iBooks US & UK   |   B&N Nook Store   |   Smashwords



PB1 Book Details

Length: 29,000 words
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance / Teen Vampire Romance / Young Adult Paranormal Fantasy / Teen & YA Urban Fantasy / Young Adult Science Fiction & Fantasy / Supernatural Romance / Fantasy Romance
Mood: Dark / Humorous / Coming of age
Content: No violence / No explicit sex scenes / No erotica
Audience: Teen / Young Adult / New Adult / Adult
Recommended for: Readers that love all things vampires, slayers and witches!