Monday 6 August 2018

Top 5 Favourite #IndieReads

I have read my fair share of independently published books since self-publishing my own books, and although most of my recent reads have been traditionally published works from my brilliant local library, I can still remember which indie reads I enjoyed most. So, I’m listing my top five favourite indie books in this post. I won’t go into ranking them; that would be too difficult and not to mention unfair, as they’re all so different from each other. Now, without further ado, let’s get into it.

One) Amanda Hocking ~ the Trylle Trilogy (Teen/Young Adult Paranormal Romance)

I know Ms. Hocking is now traditionally published, but the Trylle books were originally self-published and they changed indie publishing forever. I adore these books (I have re-read them a bunch of times!) and definitely recommend them to readers of YA/teen fiction.

Click the cover image to learn more:




Two) I.C. Camilleri ~ The Blake Soul (Contemporary Romance/Romantic suspense)

I’ve read my fair share of indie romance novels (its one of the genres I write in) but this book is one of the few that I can still remember actual scenes from, so that’s saying a lot. If you like your romance with a touch of suspense and the supernatural, check this book out.

Click to get this book for free:




Three) Penelope Fletcher ~ the Rae Wilder Novels (Teen/YA Dystopian Paranormal Romance)

These books were one of the first indie books I’d read, before I published my own books, I think. I was really impressed by Ms. Fletcher’s writing, so rich and detailed, and the various mythical creatures in the books were all equally well-explored and portrayed. It was a good first impression of the indie publishing industry and made me feel glad that I was going to become an indie author myself.

Click this image to learn more:




Four) Liliana Hart ~ Dirty Little Secrets (Crime/Mystery)

This is the first book in the JJ Graves series and I couldn’t put it down. Crime is the genre I’ve read most in my life, but this was the first indie crime novel I’d read and I was blown away by how good it was. Ms. Hart is a superstar indie author and this book makes clear why.

Click to get this book for free:




Five) Robert J. Crane ~ Alone: Girl in the Box, Book 1 (Teen/YA Urban Fantasy)

I really enjoyed this book. It was well-written and full of action and drama. I loved the characters and the plot was great. I flew through it. And now that I’m talking about it, I feel like re-reading it...

Click the cover image to learn more:




Worth Mentioning:

Penny Hooper ~ various works on her Wattpad and blog in different genres (Contemporary Romance, Supernatural, Mystery)

I’ve discovered this author’s writing quite recently. Our paths crossed on Twitter when I was promoting my contemporary romance book If I Say Yes during a free promotion I was running and she downloaded and read it, and I already am a fan of her writing style. I haven’t read her debut novel It’s My Mistake yet, but I really want to check it out based on the pieces of writing that I’ve read on her Goodreads blog.

Click for more info:


 









Natasha Preston ~ Silence (Teen/YA Contemporary Romantic Suspense)

This story was really interesting and kept me reading. I read it a while ago and I can remember quite a lot about it.

Click the cover to learn more:



D.S. Murphy ~ various works on Amazon in different genres (Teen/YA Paranormal Romance, Dystopian Fantasy, etc.)

This author writes in several sub-genres within the teen/YA space, and publishes extended previews of his series starters first, before releasing the full length versions of each series starter. I think I’ve read most of his samplers and the ones I liked best are Orpheum and The Scarlet Thread. Mr. Murphy also writes non-fiction to help authors write, publish, and market their books ~ these works are under his Derek Murphy author page.

Click this cover to learn more:




For his non-fiction:




Thanks for reading!