Sunday 12 August 2012

Book Review - Trylle Trilogy

Today's book review was written by me

Switched (Trylle Trilogy #1)
Book: Trylle Trilogy (Switched, Torn, and Ascend)
Author: Amanda Hocking
Reviewer: Neha Yazmin

Rating: 5 stars
Available via: All major e-book retailers, and also in print

Wendy (17) was always different, but she never thought she was more than human. Thrown into a world unlike any she’s ever imagined, Wendy must uncover her heritage, tap into her powers, and fight those who wish to use her gifts for evil. Enter a world of magic, mystery, and romance in Amanda Hocking’s bestselling series that takes you to Trylle, a world as beautiful as it is deadly. Torn between worlds, Wendy must decide who she really is and what she wants, between love and duty, in a struggle for her very survival.




Normally, I refrain from reading books when I'm writing my own stories, but having finally bought a Kindle (I vowed to buy one as soon as my bookshelf was fully stacked and it was fully stacked in time for my birthday!) I just had to download Amanda Hocking's Trylle Trilogy.  I planned for these to be the first books I buy for my Kindle because they helped the indie e-book market to really take off and it felt like a ritual I had to fulfil. 

I was not disappointed.  The books, Switched, Torn and Ascend, are addictive and difficult to put down.  I finished all three in five days and enjoyed them immensely!  These are the first books in ages that I want to re-read, and if I had the time, I would have happily re-started them as soon as I finished.  I haven't done that sort of thing since The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, and before that The Da Vinci Code (also by Dan Brown) and of course, my beloved Twilight saga.

Amanda Hocking is a great storyteller and the writing is clean and crisp.  The lead character, Wendy, is typical of the YA paranormal romance genre but she grows and develops and is easy to like and care about.  Her two love interests, Finn and Loki, are equally interesting, and though I had a soft spot for Loki from the point he was introduced (the second book, Torn), I don't think I would have been dissatisfied with whichever boy Wendy chose in the end.

Torn (Trylle Trilogy #2) Ascend (Trylle Trilogy #3)