Monday 5 February 2018

#BookReview ~ Delirium Series by Lauren Oliver

The first two books in the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver were two of my favourite reads in 2017, so I thought I'd post quick reviews of these books for you.

I read in Delirium in May 2017; here's the cover and blurb:

In an alternate United States, love has been declared a dangerous disease, and the government forces everyone who reaches eighteen to have a procedure called the Cure.

Living with her aunt, uncle, and cousins in Portland, Maine, Lena Haloway is very much looking forward to being cured and living a safe, predictable life. She watched love destroy her mother and isn't about to make the same mistake.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena meets enigmatic Alex, a boy from the "Wilds" who lives under the government's radar. What will happen if they do the unthinkable and fall in love?

REVIEW

I saw this book in my local library and picked it up because I'd heard good things about it on BookTube. I started this YA dystopian novel with a sigh though, and a heavy heart, knowing for sure that I wouldn't be able to make it past the first few chapters due to The Reading Slump I'd been suffering from during May 2017. 

Luckily, after the first 3 or 4 chapters (they were reasonably short ones), I was hooked and looked forward to picking it up each time I put it down to go to sleep or run some errand.

My Rating: 4-stars

Oh, this book was so good. It's the first in a trilogy and I knew I'd be on the look-out for the sequels when I next visited my library. The writing style, the characters, the romance and the dystopian setting was really good. The concept ~ that love is an actual disease, an illness that can be cured ~ was so interesting and captivating. The main character has the makings of a great heroine and didn't start off as the typical rebel-in-the-making, so that was refreshing.

I know a lot of readers hated the ending and rated the book down for it, but I won't. I'm a firm believer that there's a reason for everything, especially in fiction, so I'm going to assume the ending was necessary and key to how the series progresses. I would definitely recommend this if you're into YA dystopia. Or dystopia in general.

In September 2017, I was happy to see the sequel, Pandemonium in my local library and snagged it immediately.


I was really excited to see what happened in Pandemonium, especially after the heart-stopping ending to Book 1.

My Rating for Pandemonium: 4-stars

I enjoyed this sequel as much as the first book. It's structured differently to Book 1, and I liked this format as much as the structure of the first book. 

This book is definitely more fast-paced, as you'd expect in a sequel, because you've already gotten to know the characters' back-story and personality pretty well in the series starter.

The writing is just as good, there's character development and change, twists and turns... I kept reaching for the book whenever I had to put it down to do something else.

Highly, highly recommend this series if you read YA/teen fiction or dystopia. I cannot wait for the series finale!


Thank you for reading this post. If you're interested in my debut novel, Chasing Pavements (Soulmates Saga, Book 1) click here to learn more about it.


Like all my other books, it's also available on:
iBooks   |   B&N Nook   |   Kobo |   Smashwords 

Book Details
Length: 110,000 words
Genre: Contemporary Romance / Clean Romance / Diverse Romance / Interracial Romance / Romantic Drama / Women’s Fiction

Mood: Inspirational / Feel Good / Coming of Age / Dark
Content: Sexy but No explicit sex scenes / No erotica
Audience: New Adult & College / Adult / Female Readers

Recommended for: Readers that enjoy romance novels with serious issues and characters with depth. This is a story about life, love, friendship, family, music, art, destiny and soul mates.


And the first two books in my teen urban fantasy/YA paranormal romance series, the Poison Blood series, can be downloaded for free via:

Amazon US|  Amazon UK|   iBooks US UK   |   B&N Nook Store   |   Smashwords






PB1 Book Details
Length: 29,000 words
GenreYA Paranormal Romance / Teen Vampire Romance / Young Adult Paranormal Fantasy / Teen & YA Urban Fantasy / Young Adult Science Fiction & Fantasy / Supernatural Romance / Fantasy Romance
Mood: Dark / Humorous / Coming of age
Content: No violence / No explicit sex scenes / No erotica
Audience: Teen / Young Adult / New Adult / Adult
Recommended for: Readers that love all things related to the Chosen One, vampires, slayers and witches!



By signing up to my mailing list, you will receive e-mails when I run free or discounted book offers and news on any new/upcoming releases. I won't bombard you with e-mails otherwise.