Tuesday 27 April 2021

Book Review: Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer

I finished reading Midnight Sun a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t post a review because I don’t think it will be useful to potential readers and I didn’t give it a rating on Goodreads because I had no idea how to go about rating it.

Midnight Sun is Twilight (Twilight Saga #1) from Edward’s POV, right? Well, I’ve read Twilight over 20 times. I’ve read the entire Saga over 10 times. I read the leaked chapters of Midnight Sun over 5 times. I devoured everything Stephenie shared about the characters, esp. Edward, and obviously watched the films loads of times for Robert Pattinson.

As such, Midnight Sun was so familiar to me; it felt like I was reading a book I’ve read many times already and I can’t measure how much I enjoyed each chapter/section of the book—it would be unfair to measure it because it’s not the book’s fault that I was obsessed with this series. A lot of the new scenes didn’t feel that new because Edward mentioned a lot of them in the other books, and so they felt familiar, too.

YET from the baseball game onwards, OMG, I was totally hooked!! During the action sequences following the match, I was on the edge of my seat, wondering, gasping, hoping everything would be alright. Like I know how it ended but my heart was still pounding and I felt as though I didn’t know what would happen. So damn gripping!! Like Stephenie Meyer did that. She did that to me. Any old author can’t pull that off for me. I wanted the rest of the Saga in Edward’s POV, afterwards. So, that segment was 5-stars, hands down. 

It’s just really difficult to rate how much I enjoyed the rest of it. The familiar scenes are 4-stars? The really familiar ones are 3-stars? How am I supposed to average it out and give an overall rating for the whole book? Not gonna do it.

I will say this though: How happy am I that this book was published? 5-star level happiness. How happy am I to have read this book? 5-star level happiness. For that, and for everything else your books have done for me, Stephenie, thank you so much.